Saturday, July 30, 2005

The Addictive Predictive

They call it predictive messaging. But, if it were really a supercognizant program, then why do we have to even touch our phones to get the message typed and sent?

And why isn't there predictive calling? That would sure be half a blessing. Then, I would be able to call the people that I've been putting calls to off. Like right now when I should have called Kevin, who's at the North Beach Jazz Festival. Maybe once in a while, whilst dialling the number of a girl I want to ask out, I should get a recorded message saying, "Save your saliva Carlos. She didn't pick up Sunday. She didn't pick up Monday, She didn't pick up Tuesday, and she didn't pick up yesterday. Here, call your sister. She thinks you're seceding from the family."

But I'll have to admit, there is something positively intuitive about this predictive messaging software that allows it to discover pairs of words that have synonymous relations or sybolic allegory.

Try this one for example:

Type in George Bush.

While you're typing (G)4-(E)3-(O)6- and then (R)7 the word that comes out is 'hemp'. 'Hemp'? 'Bush'?

It works. It *is* predictive.

I've seen this happen with much more precise and glaring predicting brilliance. Another example is when you're typing 'home' the word 'good' is the first to spell itself out.

I'm flabbergasted.

No comments: